Skip to main content

Macrodef makes Ant stronger

I found new macrodef feature in ant extremely useful in my code development. It allows me to reuse lots of code and save time. Here is a quick example on how to use macrodef and why it is cool

Let’s say I have several web applications that I need to deploy on the same web server. If I use a regular Ant task, I would have to replicate these lines of code for every application:

<wldeploy action="deploy"
targets="myWebSiteDomain" />

I know it does not look that bad, but this is just a short sample. In a real world case, I also need to compile the application, generate a WAR file, deploy it, generate a client stub, etc. So, the Ant build.xml tends to grow very fast. In one of my previous project with about #5,000 the build.xml was over 700 lines of code.

Here is a solution that I like. I define a macro that deploys my application:

<macrodef name="myApp.deploy">
<attribute name="name" />
<wldeploy action="deploy"
targets=" myWebSiteDomain " />

Once it is defined, I can deploy a set of applications simply by calling:

<myApp.deploy name="myApp1" />
<myApp.deploy name="myApp2" />

<myApp.deploy name="myAppN" />

The macro above can be enhanced to do other tasks. I find it very convenient. I think it is a good practice to replace lots of repetitive tasks in Ant build file with a macro.


Popular posts from this blog

cucumber-jvm and Android Studio

During this Winter holidays, I've been exploring a Behavior Driven Development and experimented with a couple of testing frameworks: Calabash and cucumber-jvm.

In this post, I would like to describe setting up cucumber-jvm for Android Studio projects.

I've extended cucumber-jvm examples with a version for Android Studio. Here is a copy in my github branch:

In addition to the example code, here is some details on how it was created.

The cucumber-jvm requires several libraries to be added to a project:

I've found it's easier to add those dependencies with the Android Studio project setup dialog because it takes care of the jar versions for you.

File > Project Structure > Modules > app > Dependencies > + > Library dependency
  > type "cucumber" in the s…

Using FlexUnit for Stress Testing

I saw quite a few questions in the forums on how to stress
test a Flex application. I thought about it and came up with an idea
that I want to share here.

I think FlexUnit can be used for stress testing. It is not
that difficult. I simply add multiple test runners for each client
application and run all of them asynchronously. Here is the example of
the FlexUnit runner:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="" xmlns="*"

import flexunit.framework.TestSuite;
import test.TemperatureConverterTest;
import test.ArrayUtilTest;
import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
import flexunit.flexui.TestRunnerBase;

public var testClients:ArrayCollection;

public var NUMBER_OF_TESTS:int = 100;

private function onCreationComplete():void
var cli…

Flash on Google Sites

This is a brief how-to add a Flash on a Google Site.

Google Sites allows adding Flash embedded into a Google Gadget. I uploaded a swf file to my Google Site - FlexWebTools and found a gadget that allows displaying any SWF on a Google Site page. It is called AnyFlash. It is pretty easy to use and it worked fine in my Firefox 3.5.5 on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Then I send a link to my site to my friends and they discovered that the SWF was not displayed properly on IE6 and in Firefox on Linux. I reviewed AnyFlash source code and eventually found that there is a bug 939 in the Google Gadget API. Therefore, I created a new gadget that does not use the gadgets.flash.embedFlash() method and works well with Firefox, Safari and IE6 browsers on Mac, Windows and Linux.

While working on the gadget, I found a few different ways of embedding Flash into a gadget. Some of them are pretty straightforward like simply pointing to a swf in the context tag. Some are more sophisticated. For instance, they would …